Borris-Ileigh GAA Club

Lower Main Street Borrisoleigh, Tipperary

Borris-Ileigh GAA Club

Borris-Ileigh GAA Club

Lower Main Street Borrisoleigh, Tipperary

Borris-Ileigh GAA Club

Lower Main Street Borrisoleigh ,
Tipperary, Ireland.

Borris-Ileigh GAA Club

September 12 2021

North Junior ''C'' Hurling Championship - Round 2: Borris-Ileigh 2-09 Kiladangan 0-18

North Junior 'C' Hurling Championship - Round 2: Borris-Ileigh 2-09 Kiladangan 0-18



Borris-Ileigh GAA Club Match Report

Borris-Ileigh vs Kildangan(North Junior C Championship)

12th September 2021

Borris-Ileigh’s Junior C squad travelled to Puckane on the 12th of September for round 2 of the North Championship against Kiladangan. Having drawn their opening fixture, Borris were determined to open their win column for the year but knew that Kiladangan were a tough outfit to overcome. Borris made a few changes from the previous game with Martin Treacy relocating to full back and Oran Bergin taking the place of Dan Ryan, Dan Brooks coming into midfield and Bryan Murray taking up a wing forward position. Borris started with a really good work rate in the forward line, especially inside with both corner forwards and Deccie O’Connell battling well in an even contest with the full back. Kiladangan started well though and opened up a 3 points to 1 lead before Bryan Murray attained the sliotar close to goal and shot on target for Borris’ first goal of the game and a one point lead. Micheal Ryan Larry was getting on a lot of ball early on and looking threatening for the team, Borris showing steady improvement with more game time as the water break arrived and a level game with Kiladangan 4 points to Borris’ 1-1. Borris were making Kiladangan backs work very hard to get out but once they did, they had sharp players up front to put up the scores but Borris kept at it and deserved parity for the work rate shown. Ollie Delaney scored an inside free for Borris at the start of the second quarter but Kiladangan kept with them from scoring point of view. Micheal Ryan went on a good run at the beginning of the second quarter to gain a free which was slotted by new free taker, Dan Brooks before the game went very 50:50 in terms of both teams struggling to score whilst keeping the work rate high. Brooks stepped up for his second free after Borris did well to win the free for a chop down but Kiladangan were looking more of a threat in play, however the half drew to a close and the teams couldn’t be separated again with a scoreline of 1-4 Borris to 7 point from Kiladangan.

                Diarmuid Kinnane replaced John Fitzgerald at half time and Borris had the perfect start to the half when Bryan Murray reacted quickest to a goalmouth cluster to score his second goal of the game. This was the peak of the quarter however as other than another point, Kiladangan started uping their scoring efficiency with well taken points from multiple players in the forward line whilst dealing with the physical threat in Borris’ full forward line well. Kiladangan scored 5 points in the quarter to take a one point lead at the second water break. Borris players such as Murty Treacy, Matty Vahey and John Sadler played very well in the 3rd quarter but unfortunately it wasn’t able to serve for a scoring launch pad as the team only scored one point after the goal in the period. Liam Ryan replaced Oisin Stapleton as the last quarter started with an Ollie Delaney free after good Borris forward physicality before Matty Vahey stepped up to slot a 65 as the teams were level pegging with approximately 10 minutes to go. Ollie Delaney scored another free to keep the sides level but Kiladangan then went up a great putting together a stretch of scoring 4 points without reply to open up a gap, Borris perhaps tiring after a fantastic first half of hustling and high work rate. Aaron Ryan and Darragh Quigley entered the fray in place of Dan Brooks and Deccie O’Connell respectively. Kiladangan led by 18 points to 2-8 leading into the final moments with Borris unfortunately unable to generate a goal from a Darragh Quigley dropping free which was guided over the bar by a Kiladangan defender as opposed the goal that was on. Kiladangan held on to win the well contested game on a score line of Kiladangan 18 points to Borris’ 2-9.

                Both teams showed very good physicality and work rate from the get go in Puckane. Borris’ inside line in particular hustled really hard whilst the back line fought well to make Kiladangan scores well earned. Bryan Murray did very well to score 2 goals with good forward instinct despite playing midfield the last day whilst Micheal Ryan Larry emptied the tank with multiple lung busting runs to threaten the Kiladangan rear guard. Borris showed good improvement in game 2 and hope to bring that forward to the next round, details of such will be released close to game day and wishing both players and management best of luck.

Team and Scorers:


Ciaran Hackett

Cathal O’Connell, Martin Treacy, John Sadler

Cian Stapleton, Matthew Vahey (0-01(0-01 '65)), Oran Bergin

Micheál Ryan (0-01), Dan Brooks (0-02(0-02fs))

Bryan Murray (2-00), Danny Ryan, Oisin Stapleton

Ollie Delaney (0-04(0-04fs)), Declan O’Connell, John Fitzgerald


Diarmuid Kinnane for John Fitzgerald

Aaron Ryan for Dan Brooks

Liam Ryan for Oisin Stapleton

Darragh Quigley (0-01(0-01f)) for Declan O’Connell

top of page