ClubForce.com
 Managing Your Club Finances

Managing Member Data


Liffey Gaels GAA Club

About Liffey Gaels

Liffey Gaels is certainly growing from strength to strength with our thriving Juvenile section, for children from 6 and up, also our Junior Football and Hurling teams and our Intermediate Camogie team. All working hard for their club Liffey Gaels.

It is great to have all the support we have yet we are always on the look for new people to help out in the club and with the teams, if you would like to help out in any way possible please get in contact with the club or one of our members.

We have a new look Executive Committee and lots of sub committees this year, and we need support for all our fundraising events shown on this website.

Coaching is very important and our new GPO Dave Farrelly has his work cut out for him, not only in Liffey Gaels but in the schools around the club, but like all mentors and parents he is focused and very committed to the developement of the club and its future.

Yours in Sport

Wayne Cleary
Chairman of Liffey Gaels
 
Brief History of Liffey Gaels GAA and Camogie Club

The club was founded in 1951 and was originally known as Rialto Gaels and played under that name for over twenty years, until, the 1970s when it changed its name to SS Michaels and James to reflect the parts played by these schools, both teachers and students, in the development of the club. In 1984, local juvenile club Donore Iosagain amalgamated with SS Michaels and James and it was then agreed to change the name to Liffey Gaels.

Today our immediate catchment area runs from Ballyfermot through the parishes of St. Michaelís, St. Jamesí, St. Catherineís, Rialto and Donore Avenue. Throughout this time the club functioned without a permanent home and following a major campaign of fundraising it opened its clubhouse on Sarsfield Road in 1988. This was extended in 2003.

For almost 60 years the club has been the centre of gaelic games in the historic south-west area of the city of Dublin. We now have a base and can play an important role in the community. It is hoped we can go from strength to strength and continue to prosper into the future providing facilities and encouraging young people in the area to play our native games. This is carrying on a tradition in the area that is almost as old as the Gaelic Athletic Association itself. Other clubs that prospered and faded in the area included Henry Grattans, Inchicore Eblana, Jamesí Street, Saint Patrickís, Kilmainham, Wolfe Tones and Bluebell all of whom were recorded in 1886. Over the years there were many clubs in the area. These included Foundry Gaels, Transport Gaels and the Great Southern and Western Railways based in the famous Inchicore Railway Works and St Jamesí Gate and Guinness Gaelic Football Club based in the even more famous brewery of the same name.


top of page

Clubforce.com 
 Managing Member Data