ClubForce.com
 Managing Your Club Finances

Managing Member Data


Athy GFC

Athy G.F.C. Club History..

Athy Gaelic Football Club was formed on the 1st of September 1887. The first Chairman of our club was a local priest Rev. J Carroll and the first Captain was P.J. Lawlor. The club has continued each year since 1887.

 

              It is on record that the first football tournament organised by Athy G.F.C. was in 1889 and the chief organiser of this tournament was Thomas Deegan - who was employed in Minchs Malting firm a native of Cork. Four teams participated in this tournament Monastervin, Kellyville, Mountrice and the host club, Athy. Athy were the victors.

 

              The playing pitch in these early days changed several times until 1905. In 1905 the club rented a field at the Dublin road from the South Kildare Agricultural Society the present day Geraldine Park. The club had the initiative in those early days to erect a paling around the pitch and were the first club in Leinster to do so. This initiative and clubs effort were rewarded when the All Ireland finals were played in Athy in 1906 and 1907.

 

              Athy won their first Kildare championship in 1907 in the junior grade. The club struggled in the senior grade for several years before reverting to intermediate. In 1929 Fintan Brennan {later a Leinster Council Chairman} became Secretary of the club and with the able assistance of Willie Mahon {grandfather of the 1987 Chairman, also Willie}, set about reorganising the club. Willie Mahon filled the position of Chairman until 1945 and this coincided with the golden era of Athy GFC. We won the Intermediate Championship in 1932 and the Senior Championship in 1933, 1934, 1937, 1942. Athy lost the senior championship final in 1946 and this signalled an ebb in the fortunes of the club until the late 1960s and early 1970s when men like Ted Wynne and Gerry O Sullivan resurrected the fortunes of Athy, especially in underage competitions. The club won the minor championship in 1966 and 1973 and won the Intermediate Championship in 1974. After returning to the senior ranks in 1974 Athy struggled to win a senior championship, beaten finalist in 1978, until 1987 when we defeated Johnstownbridge {2.09 to 0.09} to win our first senior title in 45 years. Athy has maintained its senior status since 1974 and has been a major force in Kildare football over the last 32 years.

 

               Athy GFC has provided many outstanding footballers, since its foundation in 1887, up to the present day who have represented Kildare at all grades and indeed several county board chairmen and Leinster council delegates.

 

                    In 1987, the clubs centenary year, the club finished and opened its new clubhouse in Geraldine Park.

 

                   Today, Athy is as well equipped as any club in the county. We have a strong and successful underage section and we look forward to the up coming development of all our facilities at Geraldine Park.

 

                   The present day Chairman is Dom Kinahan and Honorary Co Presidents are  Anthony O Sullivan and Ned Wynne.


top of page

Clubforce.com 
 Managing Member Data